Living in the Region
The area between the German city of Ulm and Lake Constance has one of the highest qualities of life in Germany.
Beautiful nature, various recreational and cultural offers and an excellent infrastructure characterise the region.
Numerous rankings confirm this fact, such as a current ZDF Germany Study in which Ulm came 10th out of 401 evaluated districts and independent cities in Germany.
A region must have good infrastructure to be functional. The BioPharma Cluster South Germany stretches between the German federal states of Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria. The urban centres of Munich and Stuttgart can be reached quickly by car or train and four airports (Munich, Stuttgart, Friedrichshafen, Memmingen) are also well connected via the motorway.
The BioPharma South Germany is also well positioned for medical care. Ulm University Hospital, Weißenhorn District Hospital Foundation, Ulm Bundeswehr Hospital, the health centres of the Alb-Donau district and Ulm Rehabilitation Hospital all guarantee excellent healthcare.
The BioPharma Cluster South Germany has made a family-friendly living environment a priority. Families with children will find numerous childcare options in the region, many companies even offering in-house day-care facilities.
There are approximately 500 public schools in the region, and international schools such as the Schloss Salem Boarding School at Lake Constance have excellent reputations.
Recreational activities are also available. The nearby Legoland in Günzburg or the Geopark Swabian Alb are just two of many excursion recommendations.
Sports and Free Time
In Ulm alone, there are over 77 sports clubs which add to the attractiveness of the region for physically active people. For sports enthusiasts, the diverse natural landscape offers numerous trails and routes for cycling or jogging. Especially popular is the panoramic hiking trail in Ulm where hikers can enjoy a beautiful view of the Ulm Cathedral. The nearby mountains are also a great area for sports fans to enjoy activities such as climbing, mountain biking, rafting or paragliding.
The region around Ulm offers a variety of leisure and recreational opportunities:
- Swabian Alb, Allgäu and the idyllic Lake Constance are only a short drive away. The caves and Swabian Alb ice age art are an UNESCO world-heritage site.
- The cluster is also an ideal starting point for day trips and holidays abroad. Switzerland, Austria and France are only a few hours away by car, bus or train.
- The historic old town of Ulm with the Ulm Minster working in the world's tallest church tower attracts thousands of tourists to the Danube town each year.
- The neighbouring idyllic Biberach an der Riß boasts one of the most beautiful marketplaces in southern Germany, with its magnificent town centre and aristocratic houses.
- For art lovers, the art museum in the nearby city of Ravensburg offers a world-famous collection of expressionist art.
Festivals and Events
International culture is abundant in the BioPharma Cluster South Germany. Every year in Ulm, the Danube Festival takes place along the Danube river with representatives from all countries, projecting a cheerful ambience of international understanding. The famous Ulm Wine Festival also invites thousands of visitors to the Danube from across the world each year.